What is Casino House Edge?

Whether you are playing in an online casino or a live casino, you will always come across the saying that the ‘house always wins’. This notion actually has a term and that is known as the house edge. What is it exactly and can you really overcome it?

What is Casino House Edge?

At the end of the day, a casino is basically just a business. That being said, in order to make profits, the dealer or the house will always have a statistical advantage over the player. The casino has the edge over all of the games that you can play inside the establishment.

The good thing is that not all games have the same percentage when it comes to the house edge. In other words, the edge will vary depending on the game that you play.

So, if the house has a much lower edge, that would mean that the casino will only take a small percentage of your winnings. On the other hand, if the house edge is huge, then you are going to be handing over a huge chunk of your winnings to the casino.

For you to understand this concept better, let’s take roulette as an example. The house edge for this game is 5% and let’s consider that for every spin, you are required to pay $1. That means that if you win, the house will get just 5% of your total winnings and you get to keep the remaining 95%.

That is why no matter what happens, the casino, ultimately, wins. So, whether you win or lose games, the gambling institution will still get money regardless.

Game House Edge Percentages

As I’ve mentioned earlier, the house edge varies on the game that you play. Craps has many game modes and it has the lowest house edge at 1.4%. Baccarat is the next one; with the player having a much higher house edge (1.24%) compared to the banker (1.06%).

Blackjack is a popular game where the house edge can reach 8% and the largest of them all is Keno which can range anywhere between 25%-33%.

Is There Any Way to Reduce the Advantage?

Well, the thing is that every casino game always has a house edge, but it doesn’t mean that you cannot play the ones that have the lowest percentages.

There are two games that you can play that have the lowest house advantages. The first one is Blackjack. Without getting into too much detail, you can understand the concept of the Soft 17 rule as it can help shift the odds to your favor.

Craps is also another great game if you want to get the lowest house edge. That will depend on where you place the bets but if you place them on 6 and 8, then the house edge will be as low as 1.52%.

Published by

Related Posts